This course studies the major functions of business and how to execute a business plan by giving students the opportunity to become real entrepreneurs! Students will run their own small business using grant money that has been awarded to us from various sources over the years. At the end of the semester, students will donate their proceeds to a local charity of their choice. They will also make microloans to aspiring entrepreneurs in developing countries through Kiva.org.
Grant sources include the Mansfield Education Foundation, the Edcamp Foundation’s Impact Grant, Google’s Applied Digital Skills, NGPF, DonorsChoose, Horace Mann, Caring Classrooms, the Charles Schwab Foundation, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
To date, students have donated $9,254 through this project! (details here).
- Overview of major business functions:
- Case studies of entrepreneurs, kidpreneurs, teenpreneurs
- Class discussions
- Business simulations & competitions
- Entrepreneurship biographies & Shark Tank – season 9
- Running our own small business!
Business Project Resources:
- Previous Business Products Commissioned by Students
- Previous Business Products Created by Students in Our Makerspace
- Pinterest Boards for Project Ideas
- MIAA Sportsmanship Guidelines for Fan/Spectator Support Items
- Local Charities & Organizations Suggestions
- Kiva.org (MHS Entrepreneurs Lending Page)
- Donation & Kiva Loan Grand Totals